Tuesday, March 1, 2011

When Life Gives You Lemons

Yeah, yeah, yeah. It's an old drill. You make lemonade. That's all very nice for a skinny gal with an awesome metabolism. She can scoop as much sugar as she wants into that lemonade, sweetening up the lemons of life.

But it all seems really unfair in their advantage. What about the fat people? What are we supposed to do with life's little lemons? Drink unsweetened lemonade? (Eww.)

I'm not talking in general terms here. I'm talking about the words of caution we constantly hear, about the negative effects that stress has on weight loss.

But what is one to do? Yeah I could pop some pills, see a shrink, do some yoga. But at the end of the day, there's no magic potion to get rid of stress, any more than there's a magic pill for weight loss. Sometimes life throws stress in your direction, and all you can do is work through it, bide your time until the tide turns.

And that leaves me right back where we started.

What is a person to do with the stress? How can I prevent it from holding my weight loss up?

That's just the physiological aspect of stress and weight loss. Don't get me started on stress eating. I know that some folks see it as a disease, something that only the super obese people do, but that's not true and I think we all know it.

My friend is the biggest stress eater I've ever encountered, and she's a size zero at the biggest. I'm not much of a stress eater. Not to say I never get into a rotten mood and pig out on food that I later regret. Sure I do. I also rationalize it, telling myself that I deserve the extra food because of my mood.

Right now, however, I'm more concerned with not letting stress affect my weight loss. And I know it does. Take sleep for example. I have a hard time sleeping lately. All of the studies show that lack of sleep has a detrimental effect on weight loss, but what should I do? I go to bed, I lie awake.

On a good day I take it all in stride. The stress is just an obstacle I face in my journey. We all have them, don't we?

But then I have days like today when I can't handle it anymore. I'm angry. I'm sad. I'm confused. I'm stressed. And the one really positive thing in my life is losing weight. If that goes, what will I have? BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

No comments: