Tuesday, February 22, 2011

There Goes Another Day

I am a perfectionist.

I state that neither as a good thing, nor a bad thing. I state it simply as a fact of life when you are me. At times, being a perfectionist turns me into my own best friend. I do so many things, and do them right. But there are times when it turns me into my own worst enemy.

Times like yesterday.

I woke up determined to have a perfect dieter's day. I knew I was doomed when I was starving an hour after breakfast. "This shouldn't be happening," I thought to myself. "I'm being good today.

So I did what any good dieter would do. I pulled out some herb tea, and drank it while typing up a blog post. It did work, for about an hour. By noon I was famished again. I couldn't stop thinking about food.

I somehow held out until lunch, but that's when the floodgates opened. I couldn't stop eating.

Here's where the perfectionist thing became a killer. Once I had been "imperfect" I gave up on being good. I know it's stupid, but I'm an all or nothing kind of gal.

And yesterday it was nothing.

Today I am determined to have a good day. I thought about yesterday, about where I went wrong, and I am prepared to rectify yesterday's mistakes. Hopefully today will be a better day than yesterday. That's really all there is to hope for.

Or is it?

I don't think so.

Here's what I hope for. I hope that one day I will overcome my nature enough to say "well, I ate something I should not have this morning, but for the rest of the day I won't go crazy."

I can't be the only one who has this problem. Do you have it do? How do you overcome it? BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

1 comment:

Gracie said...

If you learn how to get rid of the "all or nothing" mentality, call me. I need help with it too.